Welcome to JASID!
JASID provides interdisciplinary network of researchers and practitioners of international development.
JASID provides interdisciplinary network of researchers and practitioners of international development and cooperation.
How to Become a Member
JASID is an academic society with the aim of bringing together the knowledge and experience about development from multiple disciplines. We also aim to contribute to the development of human resources for further enrichment of research and practice in the field of international development. JASID is a vibrant association with experienced researchers and practitioners as well as young professionals and researchers.
Applications for membership are accepted at any time. Those who want to be a JASID member is requested to read the following page and click ‘Membership Application Form’ in this page.
Membership Categories and Annual Membership Fees
(Admission fee is not required.)
- Full member 10,000 yen
- Student member* 5,000 yen
- Supporting Member 30,000 yen or more
*Financial year: October 1st – September 30th
*If you are a working student, please register as a full member. In this case, please register the name of your employer, not a university in which you study.
*A full member who has the nationality of developing counties in the OECD-DAC list and actually resides in developing countries, annual membership fee is half price.
*If you are a full member and do not have a full-time job, the membership fee for FY2021 (Oct. 1st of 2020 to Sep. 30 of 2021) will be 5,000 yen. Also, full members (the nationality and residence of developing countries) and student members are exempted from the payment of FY2021 membership fee.
For Full member:
- Qualification for applying to the presentation in the annual and spring conference
- Qualification for the participation in the annual and spring conference
- Participation and application for presentation in JASID branch
- Participation and making presentation of research group activity
- Submission for our society’s journal, ‘Journal of International Development Studies’
- Distribution of the copy of ‘Journal of International Development Studies’
- Receipt of ‘JASID News Letter’ (4 times per year)
- Receipt of ‘JASID Mail Magazine’ (from time to time), and request to delivery news
- Request for the notification at JASID website
- Application for JASID Prize
- Right of voting and eligibility for election of JASID board member
For Student member:
- Basically, student member receives the same services as Full member
- However, you wish to make a presentation at annual or spring conference, you need recommendation of your professors
- Right of voting for election of JASID board member (no eligibility for being elected)
Steps to Join JASID
To become a member, please click ‘Membership Application Form’ button.
Please read ‘Articles of Agreement of Japan Society for International Development’. If you agree this article, please check ‘agree’ and click ‘Register’ button.
Page 2: Authentication
Please mention your e-mail address and click the ‘send’ button.
Page 3: Profile
You will receive an e-mail concerning e-mail address verification. Please click URL in this mail, and complete the registration of your profile. Please click ‘Next’ button.
Page 4: Application info
Please check your membership fee and click ‘Next’ button.
Page5: Payment Method
Please choose payment method (credit card payment or bank transfer) and click ‘confirm’ button. Even if your institution would pay your membership fee, you can choose payment method.
Page 6: Confirm
Please check your application form, and click ‘Register’ button. If you would like to revise your information, please click ‘Back’ button.
Page 7: Complete
Confirmation letter would be sent to your registered email address. If you can not receive it, please contact JASID Secretariat.
- If you wish to have your membership fee paid by your institution such as a university, please contact JASID Secretariat. In this case, payment can only be made by postal transfer (please bear the remittance fee). Please note that the system does not allow you to select postal transfer as a payment method during the membership application process. Therefore, please select either credit card payment or bank transfer as a convenience method to proceed with the application. After approval of your membership, the JASID Secretariat will change the payment method to postal transfer.
- If you wish to be registered as a student member, please upload a copy of your student ID (both sides) or the official documents that prove your status as a student and shows the expiration date. Without these documents, your application would be reviewed as that of for a full member. If you are a working student, please join as a regular member.
- To become a member, you need to have recommendations (signature) by two JASID full members. Please fill in the names of the recommended members. The JASID Secretariat will confirm the names of the members concerned. If you cannot find any recommenders, please leave this field blank.
- If you do not receive the URL for membership application or the completed application email, please contact to JASID Secretariat (email@example.com).
Process to complete the application for membership
Step 1: Application for membership (online application)
If you are interested in joining our society, please click on the Membership Application Form and fill in the necessary information to apply.
Step 2: Acceptance by JASID Secretariat
JASID Secretariat will confirm the information you have entered. If there are any inaccuracies or questions, our staff will contact you by e-mail.
Step 3: Review by the JASID Executive Board Committee
The application for membership will be reviewed by JASID Executive Board Committee. If any problem arises, JASID Secretariat will contact you.
Step 4: Notification of approval and billing of annual membership fee
After the JASID Executive Board Committee approves your application as JASID member, you will receive an e-mail from JASID Secretariat that your application has been approved and that you will be charged the annual membership fee. Please pay the annual membership fee according to the contents of the e-mail.
Step 5: Membership registration completion email and notification of membership number
After JASID Secretariat confirm your payment of the annual membership fee, , you will receive an e-mail informing that your membership registration has been completed. Your membership number will also be included in that email. And you will be able to receive the society’s mailing list after your membership registration is complete. If there are our society’s journal “International Development Studies” left, we will also send you the latest one by mail. Please note that it may take a certain amount of time for the journal to be sent.
For those who wish to join as a supporting member (companies and organizations)
If you are in charge of a company or organization that would like to become a supporting member, please contact to JASID Secretariat using the inquiry form.
About collection of personal information
Questions and Inquiries
c/o Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO
3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-City, Chiba 261-8545
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com