Participation in Conferences during the Recess


During recesses, the member does not have the right to use the services as a member.

For this reason, it is not possible to submit an application for a conference presentation or to participate in the conference as a presenter (nor to take part in organised sessions or round tables).

However, it is possible to attend the conference as an auditor. In this case, please note that the participation fee is not the member price, but the general price applies.

[clink url=”


JASID Secretariat

[clink url=”

Q: I am a full member but I become a graduate student.


If you are a working adult enrolled in a graduate school, your membership status is Full Member, not Student Member.

Full members who do not hold a full-time position are able to apply for reduced annual membership fee programme.

Reference: Notice of Application for Dues Reduction for FY 2024 [D/L: 17th Sep.]

If you do not have a job and are enrolled in a university, you can change your membership status to Student Member from the next year by following the procedures below.

However, student members are subject to various restrictions on academic activities that are not required of regular members (e.g., conference presentations, paper submissions, etc.).

For this reason, we recommend that you continue to be a full member as long as possible.

Application Procedure

  • The screening will be held once a year in September (the results will be notified in October).
  • The application submission period will be announced in August on our mailing list and in our newsletter.
  • Please apply through the designated application form URL that will be included in the mailing list
  • After review by the Executive Board, the membership will be changed to student membership from the following year.

Criteria to decide

Membership categories are determined by affiliation as of October 1 of each year.

ex. 1)Enrollment in April 2023

  1. Complete the application process by August 2023 (submit a copy of your student ID card/proof of enrollment)
  2. Review by the Executive Board of Directors
  3. Switch to student membership in FY2024 (from October 2023)
  4. Annual membership fee invoices issued in April 2024 will change to student membership rates.

ex. 2)Enrollment in October 2023

  1. Complete the application process by the end of August 2023 (submit letter of admission in lieu of proof of enrollment)
  2. Review by the Executive Board of Directors
  3. Switch to student membership in FY2024 (from October 2023)
  4. Submit a copy of your student ID or proof of enrollment by October 2023
  5. Annual membership fee invoices issued in April 2024 will change to student membership rates


In the case of a change of membership status from full member to student member, if the application is not submitted by the deadline, the change of membership status to student member for the following year will NOT be accepted.

If you are unable to arrange for the documents to confirm your student registration in time by the deadline, please contact the JASID secretariat office before the deadline.


the JASID secretariat office

[clink url=”

Q:How to request information to be sent out on the mailing list









  • HTMLメール(リンクの埋め込みやフォントの変更など)は使えません
  • 絵文字は使えません。(入力があった場合は空白として取り扱います)
  • 広報委員会では問い合わせに対応できませんので、必ず【問い合わせ連絡先】を配信原稿にご記載ください(冒頭でご記入いただくメールアドレスは広報委員会の管理用となり、配信内容には含まれません)
  • 実際MLで配信される記事のレイアウトが崩れる恐れがあるため、本フォームの横幅を意識した文章の折り返し(改行)はしないでください。(メモ帳などでドラフト作成後、コピー&ペーストしていただくことを推奨いたします) また、インデントには全角スペースをご利用ください
  • 重複する内容の告知やリマインダーとしての【再配信】は行っておりません。尚、原稿内容の訂正が必要な場合は、本フォームにて修正原稿を作成の上、項番「9.特記事項」に修正部分を明記してください。元原稿の配信状況により、差し替えまたは「修正版」として配信致します
  • 配信原稿に日文と英文がある場合、同一の配信依頼フォームにてご依頼ください。尚、実際に配信される記事は各会員の言語登録状況によりどちらか一つのみになります

Q: Paying multi-year membership fees

If you have two years of unpaid membership fees, you will need to complete the payment process for each invoice when you make your membership fee payment on your My Page.

In “the Invoice / Payment Info” several invoices are listed, starting with the newest invoice.

For this reason, just settling the first invoice does not mean that the full amount has been paid, so please ensure that there are no unpaid invoices remaining after settlement.


JASID Secretariat

[clink url=”

Q: How to set up a new research group


Applications for the next year’s branches and research groups are usually accepted around the end of April/May.

Members will be informed of the application procedure via the membership mailing list and newsletters.

The application period is only once a year.

The application is considered by the Planning and Management Committee, which is made up of all the permanent directors, and is discussed and approved or rejected by the Board of Directors. The JASID will make grants to approved branches and research groups.

As a condition of receiving a grant, it is obligatory to submit accounting books and activity reports at the end of the financial year.

Newly approved branches and research groups will be launched after the budget proposal has been approved at the General Assembly of Members.

Research Groups that continue from the previous financial year may be active from 1 October, when the new financial year begins.


JASID Secretariat

[clink url=”


Q: I’m Going Back Home Country

A: Even if you live in abroad, you can now continue to be active in various membership activities via the Internet.

Member Benefits

However, depending on your location, postal conditions may make it difficult for us to deliver paper copies of the journal. For this reason, when you move abroad, you may take the following procedures depending on your situation.

Stop Sending Postal Mail

All information provided by the academic societies can be obtained via the Internet. The JASID journal can also be viewed on our website or on J-stage.

The Journal of International Development Studies (in Japanese)

Due to the unstable postal situation, we request that members residing overseas either stop sending postal mail or set up a domestic mailing address.

Please use the form below to notify us of any changes to your address.

Change Your Address

Confirmation of Payment Method of Membership Fee

Even if you live overseas, you can pay your membership fee by credit card on your “My Page”. If you have selected bank check, we ask that you change your payment method to credit card.

You can also send money from your account in Japan to the JASID’s Japan Post Bank account. For members who do not have overseas payment methods, please contact the JASID Secretariat.

Using Recess System

The recess system will be available beginning in fiscal year 2023. This system is available only to members who not have unpaid membership fees.

Please contact the JASID Secretariat for details.

Q: Is there a system to suspend membership?

Q: My Institution will Pay My Membership Fee Directly


If you do not wish to make online payment from your “My Page” due to payment by your institution, please refer to the URL below and send the money to the Japan Post Bank account of JASID.

Payment Information


  • Please make sure that the name of the member or membership number can be recognized from the name of the payee and the remarks column.
  • Please pay the bank transfer fee.
  • If you wish to make a transfer to the Japan Post Bank account from a different name than the member’s name (e.g., affiliated institution), please contact the Secretariat to inform us of the expected date of payment.
  • It takes about one week for the payment data to be reflected in the member’s page after the payment is made to Japan Post Bank (money transfer to Japan Post Bank is not immediately reflected in the member’s page).

Q: How do I transfer my membership fee?





Q: I am a member of JASID. However, I was told “You are not a member of JASID” when I submitted a paper or applied for the conference









Q: I am no longer a student











Q: I don’t have the necessary recommender for membership




1. 入会のきっかけに関するアンケート


2. CVのアップロード







Q:I have not received any e-mails from JASID

The following are some common cases in which you do not receive e-mails from JASID.

If you do not receive an e-mail from us, please check if any of the following cases applies to you. If you still do not receive an e-mail, please contact the Secretariat using the “Contact Us” form.

1. Our membership system has stopped delivering e-mails to you due to repeated delivery errors

Our membership system is designed to automatically stop delivery to e-mail addresses that have failed to send e-mails several times.

If you have not changed your e-mail address but have stopped receiving e-mails from JASID, it is possible that the system has stopped delivery because your organization’s server was temporarily unavailable for maintenance, etc.

In this case, please fill out the “Regain contact with JASID” form to request resumption of e-mail delivery.

Regain contact with JASID

Please note that e-mails sent from the JASID membership system contain important information, so we ask that all current JASID members receive our e-mails.

2. E-mail from JASID is blocked

In principle, information from JASID is sent from e-mail addresses in the domain or the domain (membership system). Please set your e-mail address to receive e-mails from these two domains.

If you are using an e-mail account managed by your institution, please ask your institution’s system administrator if e-mail from the above two domains is blocked.

If your institution’s security prevents you from receiving JASID e-mails, please register your personal e-mail address as the address for login to your “My Page”.

3. You are not using the e-mail address registered with JASID

We have seen many cases where members have stopped using the e-mail address registered with JASID. However, they thought they no longer received JASID e-mails.

When you no longer use the e-mail address you have been using for JASID, please change the e-mail address on your “My Page”. If you have already lost access to your “My Page”, please contact the JASID Secretariat.

4. E-mails from JASID arrive in my spam or promotions folder

We sometimes send important notices via our membership system, so please make sure that e-mails from the above domains are set to arrive in your Inbox.

Regarding “I have sent an e-mail to JASID but have not received a reply from JASID”…

If you have replied to an e-mail sent from our membership system, the e-mail will not be sent to the JASID Secretariat (because it is a delivery-only e-mail). If you wish to contact us, please use the Contact Form or send e-mail.

As a rule, the secretariat office is open on Tuesdays and Fridays. Please understand that it may take some time for us to reply.

If you still have not received an e-mail after checking any of the above, please contact the Secretariat. Thank you very much for your cooperation in ensuring the smooth operation of JASID.

Q: I am on a leave of absence from university. Can I still enroll in JASID as a student member?

A: Every August, we ask student members to submit their student ID card to prove that they are students. At this time, they can continue their student membership if they submit a copy of a document that proves that they are on a leave of absence (e.g., a certificate of absence from school).

Please note that you must remember to renew your membership every year until you return to school. If not submitted, you will become a regular member from the following year. In addition, from the FY2023 (October 2022), we have established a self-suspension system, so you may use it.

For working students, we ask that you join as a full member. If you have any questions, please contact the JASID Secretariat.

Q: Cautions for payment of dues via bank check

Two methods of payment are available on “My Page”: credit card payment and online banking payment by bank check.

However, bank checks are only available in Japan and cannot accept money transfers from overseas.

For this reason, if you have selected bank check as your payment method when creating your invoice, please send money from overseas to JASID’s Japan Post Bank account, not to the bank check account number.

Please refer to the following page for instructions on how to send money to the Japan Post Bank account.

Payment Information

Q: I forgot to pay my annual membership fee


For credit card payments

Payment can be made even if the due date on the invoice has passed.

For bank checks payments

If you have already been issued with a dedicated payee account number, you will not be able to use bank check payments if the account number has expired (within two weeks).

If the expiry date has passed, please transfer the fees to the Society’s Japan Post account (a transfer fee will be charged).

[clink url=”

[clink url=”

[clink url=”









Q: Is there a system to suspend membership?


A recess system has been in place since 2023. Only members with no outstanding dues are eligible for the scheme. It is possible to recess for up to four consecutive years.

For more information, see the following page.

Q: I want to submit my paper. Should I be a JASID member when I submit my paper?

A: Yes, only JASID members are eligible to contribute to ” the Journal of International Development Studies”. Our submission rules are available to only members, so please refer to the News section of your “My Page”.

Q: Can a non-member make presentation at the conference?

A: No. Only JASID members can make a presentation. However, non-members can report in the planning session and round table session, but only JASID members can submit the proposal of the planning or round table session. If you wish to make an oral presentation or a poster presentation in the conference, please submit your application by the end of July for the annual conference, or by the end of February for the spring conference.

If you are a co-researcher in an oral presentation or a poster presentation, your name can be listed as long as a JASID member is participating. 

Even if you get your membership, you cannot apply for the conference presentation until we confirm your payment. Please contact us for more detail.

Q: How long does it take to be approved after applying for membership?